19 June, 2011

Still Alive!

Well now... it's been another long while! The past two weeks have been absolutely insane. Three cities in one week, 12-hour workdays, and 159 PRC graduate students. I've met a ton of people, seen a ton of sights, and done a great many things. It's been a lot to fit into fourteen days, and today's been the first day in a very long time in which I've had the chance to take a breath, lie back, and let myself relax. Feels good.

So, not much today I'm afraid. Just a quick note to remind myself that, yes, I do have one of those bloggy things, don't I, and shouldn't I really think about putting something into it every now and then? Don't worry, dear bloggy thing, I've no intention of abandoning you. I just need to gather my wits a little.

I've been thinking in the meantime though, even if I haven't been writing! I have a few little outlines jotted down on my phone of all places... I really ought to get a nice little notebook and carry it around with me. I've also got a nice list of books that I would very much like to get a hold of. I'm currently reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle for the... fourth time, I think? One of my most beloved books, it blows me away each time I read it. I may have to write about it here sometime.

(Oh, side note: I think I mentioned Subway Love last time? Well the other day I was reading TWUBC on the F line, and the girl sitting next to me asked about it. Which was particularly great, since the pages I had open at the time were somewhat... *discrete cough*... steamy. So I told her that it was a magnificent novel by one of my favourite authors, and that she should definitely check it out if she got the chance. She smiled and thanked me, and then the train rolled up to Bergen Street and she stepped out of the train and out of my life with a little toss of her hair and another mouthed 'thank-you'. Leaving me sitting there thinking "Huh. So long then. Iloveyou.")

(Oh, double-sidenote, that actually gave me an idea for a story! Or a least a part of a story. I'll try and flesh it out here sometime!)

So anyhow, as fantastic as this book is, I'm looking for something new. Hence my list! I was in the City Lights Bookstore in San Francisco (namedropper) and for some reason was really drawn to books about Film Noir. I think I still have The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler somewhere, but I'm buggered if I can remember where. So anyhow, I'll probably wind up on Amazon buying some of these books, because they actually struck me as great inspiration for a screenplay that I've been semi-working-on for a while now. I'd also love to start watching some of these classic old films, and those'd probably be a good place to get suggestions.

Enough disjointed rambling for now, time to send out some resumés. WILLPOWER!

I picture your face at the back of my eyes



No comments:

Post a Comment